‘UNIQUE’ dance team offers tryouts

Tryouts for Unique dance team are Wednesday, Aug. 29. Unique began three years ago at RBHS. The group offers inclusivity for everyone, especially African Americans, Coach Erica Wade said.
This is her first year coaching the team and her goal is to get to know the girls and guys, have fun and build a community for her dancers.
Sophomores Hope Schust and Nalani Jordan, both of who participated in Unique their freshman year, attest to this sense of community.
“It’s a fun atmosphere [where] you can build a family,” Jordan said. “Having that bond with the other girls, you can depend on them if you need something other than dance; school work and home stuff.”
Schust found Unique to be a place of respite during her freshman year of high school a time when it can be difficult to adjust and find one’s place.
“You can make new friends and it’s really chill and easy, it’s not too crazy intense,” Schust said. “It’s just fun. It’s relaxing and it clears your mind.”
Last year Unique performed at school assemblies and at the Lincoln Homecoming Parade in Jefferson City. This year Wade hopes to do more performances, including a showcase for RBHS, Hickman High School and Battle High School to participate in.
“[Unique is] basically a place to come be yourself, have fun, explore who you want to be and just enjoy dance,” Wade said.
Tryouts will take place in the gym. Those interested should come wearing comfortable clothes.
When would you like to watch Unique perform?