Bruins open football season with victory over Rockhurst

The Bruins, who are currently ranked ninth at the state level in the MaxPreps ranking, took on Rockhurst (ranked third at the state level) in Kansas City to start off the 2018 varsity football season. After its 9-2 season record last year, the team seemed to be set for success.
Junior Will Bower, a center, believes certain expectations that need to be followed in order to continue a winning streak.

“It’s important to keep our energy alive,“ Bower said. “[We can use] this to jump start us and keep working hard in practice.”
The energy that the team has directly correlates with the way they play. During today’s game, it was clear that the team’s energy was in fact alive.
Within minutes of the first quarter, senior Nate Peat had the first carry of the game, which resulted in a 96 yard touchdown run.
Sophomore Drew Nichols also thinks it’s important that the team remains full of energy.
“It’s important that we all listen and stay aggressive throughout the whole game,” Nichols said.
Luckily, that’s what the team did in the second half of the game.
Thanks to another 96 yard touchdown run by Peat and a touchdown pass in the third quarter, the Bruins led 26-7. They didn’t leave time for Rockhurst to make mistakes either. In the beginning of the fourth quarter the Bruin’s defense forced a fumble and recovered at the 21 yard line. Seconds later the Bruins scored yet another touchdown.
In a last-minute attempt to catch up to RBHS, Rockhurst  hustled to get more points in. With only minutes to spare, the Hawklets scored their third touchdown, making it seem like they had the chance to win. The Bruins’ defense didn’t allow that though, and Rockhurst’s third touchdown was their last, leaving RBHS ahead 33-21.
After the game, Nichols said that he hoped the team got something a little more than a winning streak this season.
“This season I want to be able to form a bond,” Nichols said. “ That’ll definitely make us more successful in the upcoming games.”
The team will play Rockhurst again Aug. 27 for a junior varsity and freshman game, where they plan to carry on the start of this potential winning streak.
What kind of season do you think the Bruins will have? Let us know in the comments below.