Boys’ basketball to go up against Rockhurst Hawklets

[dropcap style=”flat” size=”4″]T[/dropcap]he Bruins, holding a [21-1] record, gear up to face the Rockhurst Hawklets, [17-4], tomorrow. RBHS, carrying out a phenomenal season, are ready to tear up the court.
One example is Junior guard Spencer Miles, who isn’t worried about his team’s future opponents. The 6’1” student athlete is confident of his team’s track record and ability to take a victory.
“We haven’t studied on their films, yet but last year they had a pretty good squad, and I’m going to assume they’ll have another good squad,” Miles said.
In terms of opponent specific preparation, Head coach Jim Scanlon plans to continue what is working for him; practicing the fundamentals and playing zone defense.
“[The Hawklets] are a very good team so our preparation has to be good but I don’t know that we prepare much different,” Scanlon said. “We still do the basics, the rebounding the defense, shooting. We pretty much practice like it’s the first game. We’ll do some press breaks, and practice against man and against zones.”
For senior forward Devin Bernskoetter, play review films are the best method of knowing his opponents strengths and weaknesses.
“We prepare as a team by watching their films and learning how to defend their sets on offense, and also learning plays to run against their defense,” Bernskoetter said.
Despite keeping practices consistent, Scanlon sees flaws in his teams game and hopes to improve upon these imperfections with each lesson.
“I think we shoot the ball really well. Our defense is getting better, we’re not a great rebounding team but we’re getting better,” Scanlon said. “Maybe the biggest thing is we like playing, they like playing together. It doesn’t ever change, we keep working every game to get better.”

How will you be cheering on the Bruins basketball team? Let us know in the comments below.