Orchestra holiday taping to air on local television stations

Conductor Alison Schmidt commands the attention of the orchestra by a simple baton, keeping each section in sync with each other and dictating the appropriate dynamics.

“Candy Canes”, “Hot Chocolate”, “Peppermint Bark” and “Gingerbread Man.” RBHS concert orchestra performed the four movements of Sweet Petite Winter Suite on Friday Dec. 8 for the orchestra holiday taping. The taping will be aired on KOMU 8 along with other local television stations over the holidays, orchestra director Alison Schmidt said.
“The holiday taping went really well with all of the festive music we were able to play,” Schmidt said. “I’m proud of my students, and the nice thing about tapings is that if you mess up you can re-record for a second chance.”
Following the concert orchestra’s Sweet Suite, the chamber orchestra performed “Christmas Time is Here” from A Charlie Brown Christmas and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.” Members of the chamber orchestra felt the recording was overall successful.

“Especially for freshmen, this recording can be the first time their talent is showcased for people who aren’t just their parents. I think it’s a great window into what professional performance feels like, a feeling I’ve come to love.” -Hope Keithahn, sophomore

“Despite a few hiccups in the beginning, our performance went very well,” Violinist and junior Michael Zho said. “Getting to re-record helped, and I think the spirit of our orchestra is really going to be shown in this taping.”
Zho is not alone in feeling a mix of pride and spirit after the recording. Sophomore Hope Keithahn, a chamber orchestra cellist, adds the idea that the taping is the first opportunity for some to have their music heard by a large audience.
“Especially for freshmen, this recording can be the first time their talent is showcased for people who aren’t just their parents,” Keithahn said. “I think it’s a great window into what professional performance feels like, a feeling I’ve come to love.”
Aside from seemingly professional experience, the goal of the taping is local togetherness, Schmidt said. The performances will be aired on komu 8 alongside other local stations.
“The holiday taping is such a nice midpoint to the year,” Schmidt said. “The music is nostalgic, familiar and nice, and the opportunity students have for their hard work to be shown publicly is great for them and community building, which is really the purpose of the event.”