Girls’ golf gear up for districts in Troy

Photo by Ben Yelton

[dropcap style=”flat” size=”4″]M[/dropcap]onday Sept. 25, girls’ golf will tee off their postseason run in Troy, Missouri. The Bruins are hoping to power through districts to the state tournament in Sedalia, where they won their last state title in 2012.
The team of 12 has been tight in terms of relationships and scores, as multiple Bruins have been individual medalists in all but one tournament thus far. but MSHSAA only allows five golfers to compete at the district tournament. Head Coach Melissa Coil said it was the team’s preseason drive that is bringing them successful scores this season, ranging from 325 to 357.
“In all the years I’ve done this, I’ve preached how playing throughout the summer is a great segway into our season,” Coil said. “ This year is the first time more than one or two girls have taken advantage of that, and you can see [their extra work paying off] based on the scores that we are putting up.”
Coil said she has used the “power of yet” to encourage positive mindsets for her golfers this year. Instead of an “I can’t do that” attitude, she motivates the girls to say “I can’t do that yet.
That optimism led the girls to start their season out strong, winning the Warrensburg Invitational on August 18 with a score of 357. Five days later, they won again in Camdenton at the Laker Invitational, bringing their score down to 344. Freshman Madison Moller, who medaled at both tournaments, said she was excited to see herself and her team improve throughout the season.
“My goal is to grow and get better as an individual but also as a teammate,” Moller said. “I hope to be a person the team and coach can depend on.”
Junior Olivia Sowers will be someone to watch again this postseason. Sowers took second at districts her freshman year and eighth her sophomore year. She has also gone on to compete at state both years. Sowers’ personal goal this season is to place in the top 10 at the state competition. Coil recognizes the loyalty and commitment Sowers has given to the team.
“To have the opportunity to lead the group [to state] is a big deal for her,” Coil said.
Sowers is excited for her team’s skilled roster, and has pushed the Bruins this season to reach their highest potential by encouraging constructive teamwork and behavior.
“To reach my personal goals I plan to practice a lot outside of just team practice and keep my head in line out on the course,” Sowers said. “ For my team to achieve our goals we just need to make sure we stay positive, play like a team, and push each other during practice.”