Lacrosse team begins push for playoffs

Junior Seth Covert evades a defender in the lacrosse team’s second game of the season vs. Fort Zumwalt on March 18. Despite efforts from the Bruins, Fort Zumwalt emerged victorious with a 13-8 win. Photo by Cassi Viox

The lacrosse team isn’t new to change, and this season is no exception. Along with a fresh roster now dominated with freshmen, the team has also seen the addition of newly-appointed head coach Tim Baird.
In the past, RBHS lacrosse coaches could only stay with the program for one or two seasons, but Baird says that he wishes to stay so that he can better provide for his former high school.
“I’m a [2008] Rock Bridge alumna. I lived in St. Louis for the past eight years, where I coached at Webster Groves HS and Fontbonne University,” Baird said. “I want to develop Rock Bridge into a respectable lacrosse program; I don’t intend to leave.”
Under the direction of Baird, the team currently holds a 5-5 season record against their opponents. The team began their 2017 campaign on March 12 vs. Fox. After a game filled with energy, the team pulled out with a blowout win, routing Fox 14-0.
I thought on the home opener overall positive,” senior Henry Stauffer said. “It’s always nice to get a shutout but we still made mistakes and built on them.”
After starting off the season with a win, the team then went on to play against Fort Zumwalt. RBHS lacrosse has never beaten the Warriors in the club’s history which continued this year. Despite efforts from RBHS, Zumwalt came away with a 13-8 win.
A lot of people were not happy with the loss on that In the Fort Zumwalt game,” junior Connor Buckley said. “Everyone really didn’t let the lost affect the way they played against Seckman. We still played our game.”
Hoping to redeem themselves after the previous loss, the Bruins played their third game of the season against a highly athletic Seckman. The team came out to a slow start, but were able to hold onto a small lead thanks to goals from junior Cameron Fuller and sophomore Matt Lazinger. Though the final of 8-6 was not very ideal, the team still managed to find things that they could build on.
I think In the game against Seckman, we came out a little flat because of the loss the day before against Fort Zumwalt, but I’m glad we kept our lead and came out with a win,” Stauffer said.
Throughout the season, the team continued to face numerous competitors which they’ve had intense rivalries with, including Kirkwood and Hazelwood. RBHS has also never beaten Kirkwood, and over the past three seasons has had a goal difference of three in three games against Hazelwood. The team’s most recent matchup was in the form of a 16-2 blowout victory against Missouri Military Academy who is playing in only their second varsity season.
Although the end of the season is drawing near, some of the most rivalry-filled games are yet to be played. The team is scheduled to play Hickman and Francis Howell both familiar foes for RBHS sports in general on May 3 and 6, respectively.
If the team beats both, they will secure their fourth trip to the playoffs in a row and also gain their highest seed ever in the state tournament. As the regular season comes to a close for the team, Baird is still optimistic about improvement, especially as the team begins preparing for their first foray into postseason play under his direction.
We’ll be facing some tough opponents down the line, but if the team is willing to face the challenge we can make a solid push for the state playoffs,” Baird said. “I’ll be looking towards our captains: Buckley, Stauffer, [junior] Seth Covert and [junior] Justin Washington to help lead the charge.”
What do you think about the team’s season this year? Let us know by commenting below.