Shelter Gardens

Shelter+Gardens

Shelter Gardens is a beautiful five-acre botanical garden home to over 300 trees and shrubs, as well as 15,000 annuals and perennials. Tucked away behind the Shelter Insurance corporate headquarters on 1817 West Broadway, the award-winning garden contains 14 features that include a sensory garden designed for the blind, a Vietnam Veterans’ memorial, a replica of a white 19th-century schoolhouse, soothing water features, a gazebo, sundial, and more.
Open year-round (with the exception of Christmas day), Shelter Gardens is free and open to the public from 8:00 a.m. until dusk. On summer evenings, local bands and musicians come to perform on the gazebo for “Concerts in the Gardens,” which are free and open to the public. Live music—which ranges from jazz to polka—fill the sweet summer air to attract many Columbians during designated Sundays in June and July.
Shelter Gardens is a beautiful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life and is a delightful option for an afternoon picnic or a light evening stroll. The perfect venue for small weddings and ceremonies, Shelter Gardens is known for its unique backdrop that is preferred and idealized for graduation and prom photos. You won’t want to miss out on this special horticulture environment that Shelter Gardens in Columbia has to offer.[vc_gallery interval=”3″ images=”293899,293900,293903,293902,293897″ img_size=”medium” onclick=”img_link_large”]All photos by Joy Park