Swimming, diving aim for state

Senior Drew Rodgers exits the pool at Mizzou Aquatic Center. Rogers is part of the RBHS swimming and diving team. Photo by Erin Kleekamp
Senior Drew Rodgers exits the pool at Mizzou Aquatic Center. Rodgers is part of the RBHS swimming and diving team. Photo by Erin Kleekamp
The RBHS boys swimming and diving team prepares for the final leg of its post-season journey. The team is already at the St. Peters Rec-Plex, preparing for the diving finals and swimming prelims today and swimming  finals tomorrow, Nov. 10.
RBHS has eight qualifiers for the state meet.  Although they worked hard in preparation for this weekend, the boys lightened workouts this week in order to relax for the tough competition they have in store.
“For state, we tapered during the week,” sophomore swimmer Michael Rhodenbaugh said, “and are getting lots of rest so we can swim fast.”
The team members have pushed themselves individually to aim for the qualifying times to participate in state.  For Rhodenbaugh, who will be swimming the 200 medley relay, 200 free relay and 400 free relay as well as the 100 backstroke, practices have helped him improve even more than last year.
“I’ve been swimming quite a bit more than last year in practices,” Rhodenbaugh said, “so I have been able to improve much more which helps me with higher levels of competition.”
Improving and shedding seconds off their times is what led the boys to state, Rhodenbaugh said. This afternoon they will start the two day competition that could mark Bruin history.
By Carleigh Thrower
Boys competing at state:
Alex Tschopp (9) – 200 free, 200 IM, 50 free, 100 fly, 100 free, 500 free
Collin Pounds (9) – 400 free relay
Harry Stanton (11) – 100 free
Matt Hefner (12) – medley relay
Michael Rhodenbaugh (10) – 100 back, 100 breaststroke, medley relay, 200 free relay, 400 free relay
Keegan Nichols (11) – medley relay, 200 free relay, 400 free relay
Blake Ward (12) – medley relay, 200 free relay, 400 free relay