RBHS blows out Northeast

On Tuesday, Feb. 7, the Bruins basketball team (13-4) traveled to Kansas City, facing a young but talented North Kansas City squad.
The Bruins jumped out of the gate quickly in a high scoring first quarter. After eight minutes of play, RBHS led 24-12.
“Our offense played really well to start the game,” sophomore forward Isiaih Mosley, who finished the game with 27 points, said. “We had a lot of points in transition which is a sign of good defense.”
In the second quarter, the Bruin defense suffocated the Northeast guards, giving up just two points in an eight minute span. Ultimately, a 16-2 run gave RBHS a comfortable 44-14 lead at halftime.
“We played pretty well tonight, especially in the second quarter,” senior forward Eysan Wiley said. “We forced quite a few turnovers which is a key to the game for us. We also rebounded at a decent rate and kept their bigs off the boards.”
In the third quarter, the Bruin offense sputtered occasionally, as Northeast cut into the 30-point Bruin lead. An experienced RBHS team, highlighted by Wiley and senior guard Justin Hajicek, propelled the team to a 73-41 victory.
“There were a couple moments when we were a little slow to get out on shooters in the third quarter and they came back a little bit,” Hajicek said. “But we had a strong fourth quarter versus the press to finish out the win.”
The Bruins improved to 14-4 with the win. The team faces East Kansas City on Friday, Feb 10 for the annual Courtwarming game. Next Tuesday, Feb. 14, RBHS takes on crosstown rival Hickman.
“It’s good to get some momentum going into the Hickman game,” Hajicek said. “We just keep working to get better and prepare for the next game against East Kansas City.”