Swimming, diving competes in ‘Last Chance’ meet, looks forward to state

A RBHS swimmer prepares for a race at the MU Aquatic Center earlier this year. Swimming’s Last Chance meet and the state championships are today. Photo by Erin Kleekamp
The RBHS swimming and diving team competed in their ‘Last Chance’ meet today, Nov. 3, at Hickman High School’s aquatic center against Hannibal and Marshall.
Today marked the team’s final meet before the state swimming and diving competition next weekend. With state only a week away, today was the last opportunity for RBHS swimmers and divers to reach state qualifying times.
There will be one final ‘swim-off’ this week for the last 200 yard freestyle relay, but besides that one event, the rosters for state are now finalized.
This meet proved successful for RBHS swimming and diving as they had one new state qualifier, while also having general improvements, with many swimmers posting personal best times.  The team has improved and grown each week as there have multiple personal bests in each meet of the season.
Michael Rhodenbaugh was the lone state qualifier today as he reached a time of 1:03.31 in the 100 yard breaststroke. RBHS swimming and diving will have nine competitors at the state championship next week, as Rhodenbaugh joins eight other swimmers who qualified in previous weeks. The 200 Medley relay team also improved their time as well today as they readied themselves for state.
“I feel really good about how we did today,” said Blake Ward, senior swimmer and diver.  “I know a lot of people are going to state, and I know our relays are going to be really good.”
Focus now turns completely to preparation for next week’s state championship, the event the team has been working toward all season long. Preliminary meets are Friday night, with the final competitions taking place next Saturday.
Nerves and excitement culminate as the big day inches closer and closer.
“We’ve had an awesome season,” said Ward, “and I’m anxious to see how well we do at state next week.”
By Sam Mitchell