The District hosts biannual Holiday Shop Hop

Image used under fair use doctrine
Image used under fair use doctrine

Image used under fair use doctrine
The holiday season is fast approaching and with it comes the hustle and bustle of gift shopping. For experienced shoppers this can be a stressful time, as deals become scarce. The District of downtown Columbia has taken this into consideration and wants to make this easier on anyone looking for the perfect gift. They are holding their biannual event the “Holiday Shop Hop” Friday evening from 5-8 p.m.
Junior Amira Mavrakis works at Breeze Outfitters, a store in The District. She explained that this event is a rarity downtown and RBHS students should take advantage of these limited deals.
“It’s an event that The District puts together before the holidays,” Mavrakis said. “Businesses in The District offer exclusive discounts during the event.”
Shops such as The Alpine Shop, The Candy Factory, Elly’s Couture and Glik’s are all promoting offers ranging from 10 to 40 percent off purchases. Not only that, but there will be live music and free food tastings throughout the night.
“It’s a nice acoustic setting,” Mavrakis said. “Food and refreshments are served by any business that wishes to do so.”
The “Shop Hop” happens only twice a year, according to discoverthedistrict.com, once right before the winter holidays and another in April.  If the deals, free refreshments and entertainment aren’t enough to entice buyers, Mavrakis says that the atmosphere of the whole event will be sure to leave customers in high spirits.
“It’s a good way to enjoy the life of the city,” Mavrakis said. “It’s an experience in itself because you can spend time with family and friends while strolling through the beautiful scenery of The District, not to mention having a good reason to shop.”
By Brittany Cornelison
What is your favorite place to frequent in the district? We want to hear from you.
For a list of stores in The District promoting discounts, click here.