Berries and cream parfait + coconut whip how-to

Fluffy, cool, creamy and smooth — a light coconut flavor and fresh vanilla bean accent. That is what you’ll get with my Berries and Cream Parfait, plus a coconut whip how-to in five easy steps!
downward-parfait
If you’ve never tried making coconut cream, this is going to a food breakthrough for you. Seriously. Is it by far the easiest, healthiest and most amazing whip I have ever made. Once you try it, I guarantee your pies, cakes, cookies, lattes, ice cream (or anything else you can slather this on) will never be the same.
Freshly whipped…
whip-spiral

For today’s recipe, I made this oh-so-special coconut whip the star of the show. Ever tried strawberries and cream? This is pretty much the vegan equivalent. I love the subtle coconut flavor and fresh sweetness of the strawberries together. There is also a nice crunch factor from those added seeds.
toppings
Watch me make it!
[vimeo url=”https://vimeo.com/162547161″ width=”580″ height=”380″] [/vimeo] How To Make Coconut Cream:
Step One: First you start with a can of full-fat coconut milk. Do not use “lite” versions.
Step Two: Refrigerate the can overnight. The next day when you’re ready to make the cream, try to avoid flipping the can. When you open it, you will find that the coconut cream and the coconut liquid syrup has separated. The top layer is the coconut cream, which you will be using for the whip.
whip-can
Step Three: Carefully scoop out the white coconut cream and place in a bowl. A narrow and tall bowl is best (later on we will be mixing it in there.) Save the coconut syrup — it has a light coconut flavor that is perfect for use in homemade nut milks, smoothies, baked goods, stir-frys and more.
Step Three: Add two tablespoons of organic powdered sugar (optional, but good for sweeter recipes) and ¼ cup chilled almond milk (or any non-dairy milk you like.) This is also where you can add in cinnamon, vanilla or other spices.
sugar-ingredients
vanilla
Step Four: Break up the coconut cream chunks with the beaters to facilitate mixing. Whip the coconut cream until thick and creamy. Be sure to move the beaters in circular motions and up and down to get as much air into the cream as you can.
whip-in-bowl
Step Five: Your coconut whip is ready to serve! You can eat this as is, on a plethora of foods, mix some cacao powder into it for a chocolate-y spin, or prepare my recipe below!
whip-spoon
Berries and Cream Parfait
serves 1, double or triple as needed
1 cup coconut whip (how-to above)
½ cup strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
** you could also add other toppings like cherries, dates, dried fruit, chopped nuts, crumbled granola, jam and more!
Directions:

1. Prepare the coconut whip (as shown above)
  2. Slice the strawberries. Assemble parfait ingredients. I ordered them like this: strawberries, coconut cream, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut cream, chia seeds, strawberries.
  3. Serve! The parfait is best eaten right away as the coconut cream hardens quite a bit in the fridge and may lose some of its fluffiness, but it will soften if left at room temperature for a few minutes. The fruit will also get a little soggy if you leave in the fridge overnight. The coconut cream will last 5-7 days in the refrigerator.

beater-whip
spoon-closeup
end-photo
If your initial intention is to share this your family and friends, you may find you don’t want to share. It’s just that good. And I don’t blame you. Who doesn’t like the fruit plus cream combo? Feel free to enjoy this as a fun holiday treat, snack, dessert, or anything in between!
photos by Grace Vance
music used with permission from Purple Planet Royalty free music