Quick and Easy Tofu Scramble

photo by Grace Vance

Tofu scrambles are just so easy to make. You press the tofu, chop up some veggies and throw some spices in there and boom, done. There is so much room for creativity, too. You can add whatever produce you have on hand and pretty much any bottom-of-the-jar spices you have left.
While there are so many flavor combinations you can make, this recipe is one of my favorites. Simple, minimalist flavors that never disappoint. There is sauteed caramelized onion, tender carrots, earthy turmeric, fluffy cooked tofu and fiberful chickpeas.
This is even a make ahead approved dish. Since tofu absorbs flavors like a sponge, everything marinates really well if you let this sit in the fridge overnight. However, the dish is just as good if you eat it immediately after cooking.
A perfect pairing on toast…
photo by Grace Vance

Turmeric. I love this spice. This is what gives this tofu scramble that vibrant, perky color. It has a long laundry list of health benefits, anti-cancer abilities, antioxidants (including curcumin), and anti-inflammatory effects. I talk more about turmeric and it’s health benefits here!
While most of you might be wondering what a tofu scramble is, it’s very similar to scrambled eggs, except a lot healthier! What makes a tofu based scramble even more fun is once you have pressed the water out of it, the tofu absorbs all of the flavors. The more water you press out, the more flavor comes in.
One thing that I think makes this dish so special is the yellow miso paste. This is a relatively new ingredient to me. It is made from soybeans and rice, which are fermented to create a umami flavor that adds so much to this recipe. Umami actually means “yummy” in Japanese and is now touted as the fifth taste after salty, sweet, sour and bitter. Foods like tomatoes, mushrooms, soy, potatoes and green tea also have umami.
So grab some tofu and get ready to dive into this protein rich, hot-off-the-pan, homestyle comfort food…
photo by Grace Vance
Quick and Easy Tofu Scramble
serves 4
1 12-16 oz package of tofu, firm
½ medium onion, chopped
1 cup spinach, chopped
¼ cup shredded carrots
¼ cup chickpeas
2 tbsp fresh lemon or orange juice
1-2 tsp curry powder
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp yellow miso paste
¼ tsp black pepper
salt to taste
optional: a few dashes of cayenne powder
Directions:

1. Warm a large skillet on medium high heat and prep your veggies.
  2. To prepare the tofu: Drain the excess water from the tofu, wrap it in layers of paper towels and place on a rimmed plate. Press on the tofu to squeeze the excess water out. You can do this overnight by placing a heavy pot or pan on top of it. If you are in a hurry, cut the tofu into smaller pieces and then wrap them in paper towels, gently pressing on it.
  3. In a small bowl, mash your chickpeas. If using canned beans, run them under warm water to facilitate mashing.
  4. Once the skillet is hot enough, add the onions, carrots, and a splash of water. Cook until the onions are translucent.
  5. Crumble the tofu into the pan. Add the curry powder, turmeric, miso paste, citrus juice and chickpeas. Sauté about three to five minutes, or until the liquid absorbs. If the pan gets too dry, add a splash of vegetable broth or water.
  6. In the past few minutes of cooking add the spinach, salt, pepper and cayenne, if using. Serve warm. Tip: You can serve this as is or you can pile it on toast, in a wrap or burrito, or even with cooked grains.

photo by Grace Vance
photo by Grace Vance
All photos by Grace Vance