Words on words: Losing sleep over love

art by Alice Yu

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]s mentioned in one of my previous posts, Theodor Seuss Geisel, was born on March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts to Theodor Robert and Henrietta Seuss Geisel, two German immigrants. Despite living in times of turmoil presented by World War I and Prohibition, his parents were still able to provide stable childhoods to Geisel and his sister, Marnie. Geisel later went on to graduate from Dartmouth College and attend Oxford University in England. He adopted the pen name, Dr. Seuss, when he began writing and published children’s books.
[quote cite=”Dr. Seuss”]You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams.[/quote] Ah, ‘tis the season of love. In 10 days, the couples in this vast world will celebrate, exchanging boxes of chocolates and other sweet gifts. Some of the ‘forever alone’ folks will join other ‘forever alone’ friends and be forever alone together, others will live like any other day, turning a blind eye to the balloon hearts, bouquet of roses and the explosion of pink. Me? I’ll be counting down the hours until I can stock up on discounted candy (because who needs a man when you have sugar?). For those of you who are in love, congrats! For those of you who aren’t, good things will come in time.
Love is beautiful and love is everywhere
There is more to love than just romantic love between two people. You can be in love with your friends and family. I someday hope that everyone can also be in love with their job. You might love how your bus driver is always on time, or how your car provides a safe haven for you. Ignore the media and express love to whatever and whoever you want. It doesn’t have to be a significant other. Celebrate Valentine’s Day by buying a car freshener for your car or giving a sweet note to your favorite teacher. Find love in all you do.
Roses are red, violets are blue, it’s okay, because I love you
For those ‘forever alone’ friends, you aren’t alone. Always know there’s someone out there who loves you or who will love you. Do you remember those people you had crushes on and couldn’t wait to see the next day at school? Well, there’s also someone who thinks about you like that. Someone who smiles whenever they the image of your smile pops up in their head. Someone who treasures everyone one of your interactions with them, even if it’s just a passing greeting in the hallway. You will never be alone forever unless you force everyone in your life out. There’s someone who loves you. Just be sure to open your eyes and heart.
Make someone else lose some sleep — in a good way
Some days I meet so many good things I don’t want to fall asleep. I don’t want to put an end to such a good day. I remember the first time I walked on the San Antonio River Walk and fell in love. I was enamored by the bustling restaurants lining the walkway and the adorable chairs with wire hearts. The combination of rock and water was so beautiful I wanted to spend a whole day just sitting in one of the quant benches. Frankly, vacationing in San Antonio was a time when reality was better than my dreams.
There are days at school where I feel so lucky to be me and reality is just perfect. Of course, there are also days when I ask myself what I’m doing with my life and return home disappointed, upset and exhausted. Sometimes, I return to school the next day to find a note from a friend telling me how much I mean to them or from a teacher thanking me for my hard work. Let someone know you care, whether or not they’re having a hard time. Write a letter and stick it in their backpack, or bring a few pieces of chocolate to share and a smile. Help someone else create a reality that’s better than their dreams.
It’s easy to feel lonely and alone when it seems like the rest of the world is celebrating with someone else, but remember that in this world with more than 7 billion people, there’s love for everyone. You have the power to create a life you love, one that’s better than your dreams, so why not?
art by Alice Yu