New faces, familiar places

photo by Cassi Viox

Infographic by Stephanie Kang
With the birth of her child Hayden Marie Rukstad on Aug. 20, 2015, Dr. Jennifer Rukstad, the principal of RBHS, is taking three months off of caring for the students of RBHS to care for her newborn daughter.
In this gap, former RBHS principal Kathy Ritter happily agreed to fill in the position so paramount to RBHS’s environment.
“I am excited to be back for these eight weeks,” Ritter said. “It feels much like coming back home, and I have been warmly welcomed by old friends and new staff.”
RBHS is far from new to Ritter. She worked as assistant principal of student affairs from 1984-2007 with a short break in between. She was then promoted to principal. In her three years as boss, Ritter managed to implement many great changes to the school.
One accomplishment she achieved was doubling the enrollment from 900 students to 1,800.
“During that time, we had many conversations about keeping the ‘small school’ environment,” Ritter said. “Even as we became one of the largest schools in the state, we wanted the school to have a personal feel and for each student to feel valued. I believe that occurred then and continues today.”
Former colleague and current math teacher, Vera Reichlin, recalls only good things about Ritter and remembers the year she was chosen to be principal.
“She was kind of a favorite among the staff for the position of principal,” Reichlin said. “When she was hired, the staff was all very excited to have her in that role as they knew her and were just very familiar with her.”
Reichlin can recall Ritter’s highly motivated, energetic work style that seemed to radiate to the staff and students around her.
“She’s got really great energy,” Reichlin said. “She’s a very positive and engaging person and has a great way of bringing staff and students together for a sort of a common ‘mission’ for the school, so it’s very exciting to work with her again.”
Ritter, a University of Missouri-Columbia graduate, has a master’s degree in mathematics and educational administration and had worked at the school for more than 18 years. In her retirement, Ritter grasped every opportunity she got to travel the world.
“My main objective in retirement was to travel and I have been able to do a great deal of that,” Ritter said. “I have biked the coast of Tuscany in Italy, traveled with a backpack to Africa and visited the countries of Rwanda, Tanzania and South Africa.”
Despite her exhilarating adventures abroad, Ritter is happy to jump back into the RBHS environment and do what she can to keep RBHS an exceptional school.
“I hope to bring a bit of history and culture to the school,” Ritter said. “Even though RBHS has always been an innovative learning environment, changes are healthy for our school.”
Because of her retirement for the school, current students have not had a chance to meet her. To the students of RBHS, Ritter remains a mysterious figure.
“Being a sophomore, I don’t really know too much about her,” sophomore Siddarth Kuttikad said. ”The sophomore student meeting was the first I’ve seen of her. Other than that I’m sure she’ll be great, since it’s not her first time at being at Rock Bridge.”
Upon her return, Ritter is excited to get back to RBHS and hopes to make the best out of the few months she has. Though she retired several years ago, the environment and vibe of the school remains extraordinary.
“I have thought for many years that RBHS was the best school, in terms of academics, activities and a caring staff of any school in the state and possible nation,” Ritter said. “I don’t think that has changed.”
By Elad Gov-Ari
photo by Cassi Viox