‘Pitch Perfect 2’ offers heartwarming laughs

They’re back, pitches.
It’s a known fact that sequels are usually never as good as the first movie in the series; however, Pitch Perfect 2 comes pretty close.
The PG-13 movie, directed by Elizabeth Banks, is about the Barden Bellas, an all-girl acapella group, three years later in their senior year of Barden University.
Since they become so good, they are invited to perform for President Obama on his birthday. While giving their performance, a singing Fat Amy comes down from above, and the only thing holding her up is some type of silk fabric material. Unfortunately for her, and for many others as well, is that while she is in the midst of holding herself upside down, her pants rip, and she flashes herself for everyone to see. Obama and Michelle’s once happy expressions are gone when the camera pans to them.
After the incident, things go downhill.The group tries to regain their dignity by trying to win the World Acapella championship. They have to go against one of the competitors known as Das Sound Machine, a major successful German group with an attractive, and, as Beca would say, the cause of sexually confused women female leader, Kommissar (Birgitte Hjort Sorensen).
In contrast to the eccentric and confusing characters, four things stand out the most. The comedy, the music, the unexpected romance and the sisterhood. These features are the main characteristics in the movie. My favorite part of the movie is the comedy, though, because all of the jokes had everyone in the audience laughing. Unsurprisingly, most of the fantastic one-liners come from Rebel Wilson’s character Fat Amy.
What is also fantastic about the movie are the songs the Bellas choose to perform. The choices they select are fitting and amusing at times, and they perform them really well. One of my favorite scenes is the riff-off because all the different categories that are picked are funny. I liked  the fact that the songs everyone picked suited them.
The soundtrack, is good, with songs like “Flashlight” by Jessie J,  “Cups” by Anna Kendrick, “Winter Wonderland” sung by Snoop Dogg and Anna Kendrick, “Poison” by Bell Biv DeVoe, and “Bootylicious” by Destiny’s Child.
Unlike the music, the third attribute of the movie is surprising, but nice. The romance was Bumper (Adam DeVine) asking Fat Amy to be his girlfriend with dinner. Then, of course, Fat Amy being Fat Amy, shows up rowing a boat across the lake while singing “We Belong” later on. They continue on to make things uncomfortable for the rest of the people present, causing everyone to run inside. The last couple that is unexpected (although they didn’t declare it official) was Emily Junk (Hailee Steinfeld) and Benji (Ben Platt). Benji and his awkward way of flirting was adorable. As for Beca (Anna Kendrick) and Jesse (Skylar Astin), I do wish they added a few more scenes between them. However, they always will continue to be my favorite OTP. Well, second to Fat Amy and Bumper.
Speaking of favorites, my favorite thing about this sequel might have to be the sense of sisterhood. Even while fighting, the girls still stick together, and I never doubt that they are anything but a family. It makes you hope to have that kind of connection with future friends, especially those you’re involved with at school or in activities that you’ll be spending time with.
Spending time with friends to watch this hilarious movie is something I recommend, especially to people looking for a laugh. It’s the type of movie to make you feel all warm and smiley after the adorable and funny moments they present. In conclusion, the production is good overall.[vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bh4mvJ5jUg”]By Layla Kheiralla
Photo used with permission from the Fair Use act.