Swimming, diving heads into home stretch with impressive performance

Photo by Laurel Critchfield
The team swims at a meet early in the season. Photo by Asa Lory
The swimming and diving team competed in the Springfield Invitational this evening, Saturday, Oct. 20, finishing in sixth place out of 19 teams, another solid placing for the team.
Competitions gain more and more importance to the team as the year goes on and as the season approaches post season and its ending point – the state championship.  While the RBHS Swimming and Diving team did not have any new qualifiers for state, it was still a successful meet as many swimmers and divers posted personal bests and many who are already qualified for state registered qualifying times once again.
RBHS finished in the top ten three times in team events, including a fifth place finish in the 200 yard Freestyle Relay, while individually Alex Tschopp turned in another impressive performance, finishing first in the 100-yard butterfly and fifth in the 200 yard Individual Medley.
“We had a great meet today, a lot of our swimmers had personal bests and even some state cuts,” said freshman swimmer, Jonathan Thomas. “I’m really proud of our team’s efforts today.”
After this strong showing, the team now turns its attention to its next competition which takes place against Rockhurst next Saturday at the Hickman swimming pool.
After next Saturday there is only one final ‘last chance’ meet versus Hannibal until the state championship.  With the event only two weeks away, anticipation and excitement are starting to build and the championship cannot come soon enough.
“I can’t wait to see how we do at state,” said Thomas.
By Sam Mitchell