Bruins coast to win over Battle

Eric Kuse attempts a jump shot against Battle on Tuesday, Feb. 24. Kuse scored nine points as the Bruins crushed the crosstown Spartans 77-60. Photo by Jamey Jackson.

With the playoffs beginning in less than a week, there won’t be any more easy wins like the Bruins’ 77-60 stomping of the Spartans at Battle Tuesday night. However RBHS head coach Jim Scanlon, who can mark this game as his 700th career win, can also take at least a small comfort in the knowledge that his team is playing their best ball down the stretch.
“We hit threes, I thought we looked out for each other,” Scanlon said. “I think our team’s kinda coming together. I thought we played pretty good, I thought we played really good team ball, I thought we were trying to help each other on defense because we’ve been stressing that.”
With the play on both sides of the ball humming, the Bruins (16-3) coasted to a 17-point win over the Spartans (7-16). Ryan Kreklow, who led all scorers with 23 points, didn’t even get his first bucket until drilling a three from the top of the key with 1:47 left in the first quarter.
With not all the Bruins’ shots falling in the opening eight minutes, RBHS only led 22-17 after the first quarter.  Additionally, the Spartans made many of their threes in the first half. BHS guard Daviante Ostrander, who was on fire from distance early, attempted (and missed) a ridiculous heat check three from more than five feet behind the arc. However, both regression to the mean as well as a tighter Bruin defense helped stymie the Spartans for the rest of the game.
“I think everything, but I think you have to have defense and stops,” Scanlon said. “One thing you control is defensive rebounding. We still gave up a lot of points, but I think our defensive rebounding in the second half was much better.”
The main highlight of the game, however, was the dynamic play by Kreklow and junior point guard Trey Smith, who had 17 points of his own. Smith, who only started playing at the one this year, thinks his passing ability is also important.
“When I see an open player I just see it and throw it to him and he’ll either make it or he’ll get fouled,” Smith said. “…Coach gets on to me a lot to push the ball, keep pushing it.”
Scanlon also praised him not just for his play, but for his development as well.
“He’s really good at penetrating, he’s got good vision,” Scanlon said. “He made a couple of turnovers and we talked about it, but he hasn’t been out there very long. We had him inside; he’s a really good inside player. We just thought that he attacks the basket, he’s got good quickness, and I’m happy he’s there now. He guards their best player; he’s a good defender. He’s really improved.”
Kreklow, who is often freed up for open threes by Smith’s ball movement, lauded his ability to push the tempo and stay one step ahead of the defense. He feels that the quick passing scheme the Bruins run improves their shot selection.
“The ball moves faster than the defender,” Kreklow said, “so if we get that ball moving around quick there’s always a second there that the defense is, well, weak-side … and then you get shots off.”
The Bruins led 55-41 before the final quarter and was out of reach before that, and the contributions from each player on the roster helped. Scanlon credited the bench with carrying a portion of the load, especially with the Bruins’ personnel losses. Jack Cooper was sick, according to Scanlon, and Josh Broadus is no longer on the team.
“I think it’s a non-issue,” Scanlon said of Broadus’s absence. “It was just one of those things that, you know, it’s the best for both parties. So, we’ll move on from there.”
With the increased weight placed on the shoulders of younger players and the district tournament beginning in seven days, Scanlon said the focus in the next few practices will be on fundamentals and defense. Whatever the preparation, the Bruins face a grueling bracket including a potential matchup with No. 3 Blue Spring South (20-1).
“It’s tough, everything’s tough,” Scanlon said. “I mean, Smith-Cotton’s 15-6 and they’re the No. 5 seed. We’ve just got to be one of the tougher ones. … I told them, there won’t be any easy ones now.”
The Bruins finish the regular season against Helias at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 27. The first round of the district tournament is next Tuesday, March 3.
By Brett Stover