Annual Powderpuff competition entertains, raises funds

The seniors arrive for their Powder Puff football game against the juniors. Photo by Renata Williams.

With a roar, the junior sideline celebrated as junior Molly Klein sprinted past the senior defense and scored the go ahead touchdown, giving the juniors a 20-16 lead. The seniors would eventually lose to the juniors with that score, although it was tweeted out that the seniors had won with a score of 46-20.
“Yes, [the seniors] were given the win but the refs told us we had won,” Junior Karson Ringdahl, who coached for the junior team, said. “It’s all in good fun so I wasn’t too upset. It was just fun because we played the seniors and everyone had a ton of excitement. It was actually a very competitive game.”
Furthermore, Powder Puff brings students of the same grade together in competition against the other grades. Junior Megan Goyette said that the competition brings a degree of unity to each grade level while also allowing them to have a good time with the other grades as well.

“It’s a fun way to come together as a grade and compete together,” Goyette said, “I loved when we scored the last touchdown and everyone went crazy. It was fun playing the seniors and using all of the fun plays our coaches thought of.”
Senior Lauren Forrest, who played tight end and safety, said that she participated in Powder Puff because it is a RBHS tradition for girls to take part in the competition. Forrest said that her favorite part about the game of the game was the competitive atmosphere during the game, despite the game not counting for anything other than bragging rights.
“We obviously underestimated how good the juniors would be,” Forrest said. “They clearly have some great athletes on their team. As a football fan it’s always fun to be able, as a female, to get out there and play.”
However, this is not the main point of the competition. Despite the friendly rivalry between the teams, Powder Puff is actually a fundraiser for charities. Each year, the RBHS Student Council chooses a different charity to donate too, with the profits from ticket sales going to the charity of choice.
“This year, it was for the Columbia Women’s Shelter,” Forrest, a member of Student Council, said. “Everyone is so happy to have supported such a great charity.”
By Derek Wang