Girls basketball bounces past Battle

Junior Sophie Cunningham blocks a player from Jefferson City. The Lady Bruins defeated the Lady Jays tonight in the District Semi-Finals.

With a scoring run of 27-9 during the first quarter, the Bruin girls basketball team took the early lead against Battle High School and never lose it. RBHS would go on to win 62-28, clinching their fourth win of the season.
Senior Cierra Porter said she thought it was a good team win and that the Bruins excelled at rebounding.
“We came out with a lot of energy and stuck to the game plan,” Porter said. “I was just glad I was able to contribute and I had a lot of fun with my teammates. We work together well and find the best shot.”
Senior Sophie Cunningham said she thought the team showed great technique on the court. Cunningham said the Bruins communicated well and brought great energy to the court on both offense and defense, outplaying the BHS Spartans.
“We all played very well, especially the younger classmen,” Cunningham said. “We are taking [the season] one game at a time and building strong team chemistry.”
RBHS Head Coach Jill Nagel said that although the team came up with a big win, the players could still work on their box outs and forcing “one and done” situations, where the opposing team gets at most one shot at the basket before the team collects the rebound or forces a turnover.
“I was very please with how we did,” Nagel said. “We corrected some things that we wanted to work on from Saturday, and it’s all about building. Especially early in the year, it’s all about correcting mistakes that you did last time out and keep doing well what you’re already doing well.”
Porter said that although she thinks it would be great if the team could win its fourth state championship, the season is ultimately about having fun with her teammates and playing her best at every game. At the end of the year, Porter and Cunningham will no longer have the opportunity to play basketball with their friends and teammates, instead having to focus on their futures.
“I’m just looking forward to having fun with my teammates,” Porter said. “It’s the last year I get to play with these girls, so I’m just trying to make memories.”
By Derek Wang