Pumpkin applesauce muffins

To keep the spirit of fall alive, I decided this week I was going to bake with pumpkin, one of my all time favorite ingredients. I know just about everyone is obsessed with pumpkin these days. It’s hard to miss the girl slurping down a pumpkin spice latte, or PSL as they have been deemed, from Starbucks or all the pumpkin pies on display at grocery stores. While I’m sure these items taste delicious, they are full of sugar. Not that a little sugar isn’t good every now and then, but when you don’t recognize half of the ingredients and sugar is the second ingredient listed, you know the food cannot possibly be good for you. Don’t worry, this recipe is sweet, healthy, and bursting with pumpkin. ingredddds
Ingredients:
3/4 cup gluten free flour
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 can of pumpkin
1/4 cup pure/organic maple syrup
1/4 cup raw honey
3/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Coconut oil cooking spray
bulletThis is a quick recipe, so go ahead and turn your oven on now; preheat it to 350 degrees. To begin, get out a blender or food processor and process the oats into a fine flour. After this is finished, combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Then mix the wet and dry ingredients together, being sure not to over stir – you don’t want tough batter. Once combined, coat a muffin tin with the coconut oil cooking spray. Fill the tins 3/4 of the way full with the muffin mixture. The recipe will make approximately 16 muffins.
The muffins need to be baked for 20 minutes. They will stay good for about five days if kept in a cool, dry place. But if you want them to last longer, simply store the muffins in an airtight bag in the freezer. On your way out the door, you can pop one in the microwave for about 45 seconds, and you’ve got breakfast covered.finishedd