A Study in Surrealism

This year in my Photography 2 class, we were assigned independent projects for which we had to come up with our own themes and focus. I spent a lot of time thinking about mine, and I struggled to come up with an idea that I felt was different than what I usually shoot and would challenge me as a photographer. Then, my sister found a list of the best young photographers, and I fell in love with their images. Several of them had a very surreal, almost creepy style. I figured that not only would it be a nice contrast from my usual style, but it was also just in time for Halloween!
The idea started out very differently than what it ended up becoming. Initially, I wanted to make very innocent, pretty images that looked normal at first, but had something just a little bit off about them – bloody hands, disconcerting stares.
Margie Crosby

Shelby Yount

Margie Crosby
Margie Crosby
Margie Crosby
Margie Crosby
Margie Crosby
Marissa Stewart
However, a few Photoshop tutorials later, the project quickly morphed into something much darker and more surreal.
Marissa Stewart
  Marissa Stewart Shelby Yount Shelby Yount Sury RawatMargie Crosby Creating the floating pictures was probably my favorite part. I did this by putting my camera on a tripod and taking a picture of the background without anything in it.
Plain Background

Then, I had my model stand or lay down on a chair and took another photo.Marissa Stewart
In photoshop, I was able to crop out the chair or platform and replace it with the background from the first image, draw in a shadow, and smooth things out a bit.
This is probably one of my favorite collections I have done so far because it’s such a stretch from plain landscapes or studio portraits. It’s interesting to play with different styles, exercise my creativity and create more provoking images.
Thanks to all my great models: senior Margie Crosby, senior Sury Rawat, college student Marissa Stewart, and junior Shelby Yount.
By Madelyn Stewart