Apps of the week: Calendars by Readdle, Elevate, Plants vs. Zombies 2

photo from Google Images

New apps come out daily; sometimes it almost seems by the hour. There are so many to choose from, but here are a few that shouldn’t escape your attention this week.

[tabs style=3][tabs][tab title=”Productivity”]

Calendars by Readdle

week 2 1

I absolutely love a good productivity app. Anything that can make my life easier is perfect for me. My new obsession has been the Calendars app by Readdle. This app syncs all of my google calendars into one calendar for my iPad so I have all of the calendars put together. I don’t use the calendar on the iPad because this keeps me better organized. It’s just like what Google Drive does, which is allowing one to keep everything in one place that is accessible anywhere at any time. The only problem I’ve seen with this app is that I haven’t found a way to just view a certain amount of calendars, because sometimes I don’t want to see a specific one. The app is free but can be upgraded, so the upgrade may possibly solve that problem, but for me it’s not worth money and the free app does just fine. I’d tell anyone who has more than one calendar on Google to download this app and try it out.

Calendars by Readdle is available in the App Store.

[/tab][tab title=”Education”]

Elevate

week 2 2

While searching for new apps as I usually do, I often download apps that really just don’t have a purpose. I don’t remember how I came across Elevate, but I’ve had it downloaded for almost a month now without touching it, just because it seemed like it was good app, though I had never opened it. I chose the category education for this app because it fell between education and game for me. It’s pretty much a series of brain performance games, including categories in speaking, writing, reading, listening and math. Elevate puts a fun little twist on improving those skills, which I think anyone could improve on with this app. Some of the ‘games’ are harder than others, but if you’re ever in the mood to tease your brain, this educational game is a great way to have fun while still learning.

Elevate is available in the Google Play Store and App Store.

[/tab][tab title=”Games”]

Plants vs. Zombies 2

week 2 3

I never thought I’d get into the Plants vs. Zombies game, but every since I downloaded it on a whim, I can see what all of the hype is about. PVZ falls under the game category ‘tower defense,’ which can often times be a fun genre. Essentially, there are different plants that protect against zombies in different ways; some plants shoot, some plants punch and some provide you with sunlight that you need in order to get more plants protecting. My favorite aspect of the game is how easy it is. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to pick and place plants, though it does get difficult sometimes. I’m currently stuck on a level, and I mean seriously stuck. Which is the great thing about it; the game is easy to do but difficult enough to keep you entertained. I am not one to play games all of the time, but whenever I get bored and actually decide to play one, PVZ is my go to game right now.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is available in the Google Play Store and App Store.

[/tab]

[/tabs]

By Renata Williams