Football Preview: RBHS vs. Rockhurst

No. 4 Rock Bridge (0-0) vs No. 6 Rockhurst (0-0)

7:30 p.m. Friday Aug. 22 at Wayne Sells Family Field (RB)

Overview:

The Bruins, who begin the year ranked fourth in Class 6 in both the Missouri sportswriters poll and the MaxPreps computer rankings, take on Rockhurst (#6 in both rankings) to begin their 2014 campaign. After their unbelievable run to the state championship game last year, expectations of a repeat this year undoubtedly weigh on their minds. Rockhurst is their first of many state-ranked opponents.

Breaking it down:

Last year, the Bruins (8-6 in 2013) lost to Rockhurst 47-28 (5-5 in 2013) in the midst of an abysmal four-game losing streak.

Fast Facts:

Last year: 47-28 Rockhurst

Rock Bridge returns 12 starters

Bruins start at No. 4 for the second year

However, as the playoffs showed, that result was not an example of RBHS’s potential.

This year, the Bruins return six starters on both sides of the ball, and their defense must show up for this game much more than last year’s for a chance to win. However, the Hawklets many starters as well.

Key Players:

• QBLogan Twehous, along with outstanding talent at wide receiver, helped tear up offenses most of last season. The third-year starter must, in essence, build on last year’s success and retain his place of one of the state’s top quarterbacks. However, the Hawklets start senior T.J. Green – yes, he is former NFL player Trent Green’s son – who also provides experience at the position.

• WR-The Bruins lost one, if not the most important part of their offense from last year: K-State greyshirt Zach Reuter, who caught the bulk of RBHS’s touchdowns last year. However, top prospect and senior Alex Ofodile, who recently committed to Oregon, will be Twehous’ main target this year and will be ready to take Reuter’s place.

• Defense-While the Bruins lost Ross Alexander (Georgia Southern), they return Hayden Johnson and Matt Troyer as leaders on the defensive side of the ball.

Extra points:

Tonight’s game’s start time was moved back to 7:30 due to heat. Coincidentally today, August 22, is the earliest date ever for a MSHSAA opening game. (Via Rivals)

This is also Rivals’ No. 1 “Big Game” of the week.

Prediction:

This is high school football. It’s the first game of the season. Preseason rankings are essentially semi-educated guesses. That said, it’s my job to predict the winner. While I believe that the Bruins’ improved defense will be much more effective than last year against Rockhurst, keeping the score close, the Hawklets have a greater chance of pulling out the victory.
Final: Rockhurst 21, Rock Bridge 14. 
Commentary by Brett Stover