Bruins seek revenge, host district tournament

[heading size=”18″]Boys District Tournament Preview[/heading]

As the Class 5 District 9 tournament  begins the RBHS boys basketball team has one last potential game to decide the season series against crosstown rival Hickman.

Senior Arris Pardalos begins the game against Branson with a jump ball. Pardalos and the Bruins begin play in the Class 5 District 9 tournament starting tonight at Rock Bridge. photo by Maribeth Eiken
Senior Arris Pardalos begins the game against Branson with a jump ball. Pardalos and the Bruins begin play in the Class 5 District 9 tournament starting tonight at Rock Bridge.
photo by Maribeth Eiken

The Bruins (19-3) led by a strong backcourt in senior guard Jackson Dubinksi and junior Ryan Kreklow earned the second seed in the bracket. Meanwhile Hickman (20-2) earned the first seed and await  Camdenton (13-11).

The Bruins play Jefferson City (13-11) on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the district semifinal, a team they beat in overtime 73-72 on Feb. 15. Senior guard Zach Carroll and junior forward Eric Kuse both emphasised the importance of playing strong defensively.

“Last time we played them we were really lazy and stagnant. And as far as keys go, we have to play together, execute sets, but most importantly play defense.” Kuse said, “That will get teams far into the playoffs. So if we do those things we should be okay.”

If both the Bruins and Kewpies were to advance, it would set up an epic rematch of a heated rivalry featuring two teams ranked inside the top 10 by the Missouri Basketball Coaches Association. The RBHS is currently ranked ninth and HHS is fourth. In the teams first of two regular season meetings the Bruins lost 68-66 at Rock Bridge Gym in a game in which the team shot 100 percent from the free throw line, hit two half court shots and star Hickman player junior guard Jimmy Whitt fouled out. In the second meeting between the two teams this time at Hickman the Bruins won 59-54. The winner of the game not only secures bragging rights till next year but also brings home the hardware to their respective school and advances to the state sectional.

“We want to be able to say we won the best of three games and prove we are the best.” Carroll said.

Prediction: Defending their home court and playing in front of a rambunctious crowd the Bruins win the rubber game between the two teams and with it win the district title in dramatic fashion.

“We feel more comfortable playing where we practice everyday.” Kuse said, “And hopefully our crowd could cheer like they have never done for these couple of games.”
By Graham Ratermann