‘House of Cards’ season 2 disappoints with lackluster plot

Season 2 promotional poster.
Season 2 promotional poster.
Season 2 promotional poster.
Season 2 promotional poster

As a pubescent male growing up in today’s world, many things like books, music, and art leave me with a feeling of dissatisfaction… the second season of the Netflix Original series ‘House of Cards’ being no exception. T

his doesn’t mean that, just because I’m young, the quality of the show is lost on teenagers. I’m certain viewers of all ages would agree with me in that the shows subsequent season definitely had some flaws.

When Netflix started making original online programs like ‘House of Cards’ and ‘Orange is the New Black’, it seemed like a solid idea. Having 13 consecutive hour-long episodes, all of which being released simultaneously, gives the creators of these shows the opportunity to have far more intricate plot-lines and character development. But it appears that they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

Kevin Spacey’s character in ‘House of Cards’, Frank Underwood, began the first season as this cutthroat politician who had a huge secret plan that you found out about little by little. He would treat politicians like puppets, manipulate the press, and all the while, looked very good doing it. But as the second season proceeded, he went from being the hunter, to the hunted.

A man who once had the most power in politics turned into this petty child before all of the viewers eyes. It’s difficult to refrain from citing specific moments in the show for those who have not yet seen it, but I will say the Frank Underwood in the second season isn’t even half of the mastermind he is in the first one. Instead, the majority of his time in this season is spent brown nosing those who saw through his deceit.

Another thing that really left me confused was the subplot of the second season. Perhaps the only interesting thing Frank Underwood does in the whole season, leads to an investigation, which then branches off into something that I am positive at least half of the viewers did not understand. It’s almost as if, while creating the story, the absentminded writers of the show just forgot about the subplot entirely and when they were reminded of it, would just shove it back in the episode wherever they felt.

I know this secondary storyline in the show is not supposed to be the focal point, but they should have at least made an effort to touch base with whatever was going on at least once an episode, regardless of whether or not people watched the whole season all at once. And the worst part about it is, the subplot was more interesting than the main one. It had the investigative nature that so many appreciated about the first season.

But the very worst part of the whole ordeal had to be the fact that, incredibly confusing events would take place, ones that had absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the show, and then would never be revisited again. I have no qualms about citing this moment in the show, simply because it was in no way shape or form, relevant to anything. After a long night of being a pansy, Frank, his wife, and his secret service guard start making out with each other. Not only was there no foreshadowing to this event earlier in the season whatsoever, but the scene never made a reprise at all later on. It was as if some time during the editing process, someone accidentally put in some snippet from a completely different show.

I was very disappointed overall, but perhaps I had my hopes too high. It only makes sense that, with the first season being as stupendous as it was, it could have only gone downhill from there.
By George Sarafianos
What do you think of Netflix’s original series?