Golf takes home third sectional tournament title, prepares for state

Junior Amanda Baker tees off on the par three, seventh hole at Lake of the Woods golf course playing Mexico, the Bruins last home match before they began their postseason.
In the fall of 2010, when a sectionals tournament was established for Missouri high school golf, RBHS took home their first title. The team hasn’t been willing to share it with anyone else since.
Even through chilly, gusty conditions and a 30 minute frost delay that pushed the tee times back to 11:30 a.m. for the Bruins golf team, the girls were focused on one objective the whole time: to take another team to state, senior Megan Goree said.
“We all had a very positive attitude and were positive that we were capable of winning,” Goree said. “We believed in and supported one another so that we could play the game we know best.”
Although the Kewpies were an original threat going into the sectionals tournament after the Bruins won districts Monday, Oct. 1, they didn’t pose any trouble and finished with a team score of 366, 24 strokes behind RBHS.
As these golfers prepare for the State Championships next Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 15 and 16, they are working to prove their ability to repeat last year’s win, Goree said.
While there were no medals or plaques for this particular division of the championships, the Bruins are still excited to be able to travel to state as a team for the fourth consecutive year.
“For state, I’m just trying to relax and focus at the same time,” Goree said. “I’m excited that we are all going again this year to state and ready to show everyone there that this year will be no different than last year and that we will have our game faces on.”
By Kaitlyn Marsh
Are you a golfer? What is the toughest shot you have ever made?