Political clubs host voter registration

Senior Emily Thomas laughs with soon to be registered voters in the main commons this morning. Photo by Asa Lory
Today, Oct. 8, during first period, second period and both lunches, students coming of age have an opportunity to register to vote. A booth led by Young Republicans, Young Democrats and Young Moderates is stationed in the main commons, where students can line up to trade their name and information for voter registration and a snickerdoodle.
“A lot of people are saying they don’t want to vote because they don’t know about the candidates,” senior Emily Thomas, a member of Young Democrats said. “I think it’s important just to be registered, because if you do have time to become educated about it … it’s important that people form an opinion.”
Now up through this Wednesday, Oct. 10, students 17 and a half or older are allowed to register, although only those 18 and older are allowed to vote in the coming election. Still, teens at RBHS are excited about the opportunity to participate in an American tradition and make history with a new election.
“It’s very important [to register],” senior Tahliya Richardson said. “Because we’ll be the ones in charge in the future, so if we want something to happen, then we should be a part of it.”
By Lauren Puckett
With additional reporting by Atreyo Ghosh