Boys basketball dominates fourth quarter to beat Lincoln Prep

Junior Ryan Kreklow takes the ball down the court, looking for a teammate. Photo by Maribeth Eiken
Junior Ryan Kreklow takes the ball down the court, looking for a teammate.
Photo by Maribeth Eiken
[heading size=”15″]The boys basketball team held strong to defeat Lincoln Prep 60-51.[/heading] After edging out Rockhurst High School on Feb. 18, the Bruins Basketball team played the Lincoln Prep Tigers in the courtwarming game. The king was announced, and fans saw the girls team dominate Miller Career Academy before the boys game. The day got even better for RBHS, when they saw off Lincoln Prep in a tight game improving to 19-3 in the season. Senior Jackson Dubinski said the team had an average game but were still able to stick to their plan and get the win.
“We were sluggish. We didn’t play very sharp until the fourth quarter,” Dubinski said. “The last quarter was when we really turned it on to pull away.”
The first quarter set the tone for the rest of the game as RBHS led their opponents by only two points. The Bruins raised their game level in the second period to take a nine point advantage over the Tigers at halftime. Lincoln Prep was able to pull things back in the penultimate quarter and tie the game up before the last quarter. Dubinski said the team knew they had to play better to win the game.
“We were frustrated a little because they were hitting everything,” Dubinski said. “We just knew we had to stick together and fight through their run.”
The Bruins controlled the style of play in the fourth quarter to defeat the Tigers 60-51. Senior Zach Reuter said the win showed the team’s hunger for success.
“As a team we didn’t play our best basketball because we had too many turnovers and struggled rebounding,” Reuter said. “We knew we were the better team so we were just determined to play better.”
Dubinski also said he knew there were a couples areas in his game where he needed to improve.
“I feel like I played well. I made a couple of mistakes turning the ball over but that’s going to happen against a good team,” Dubisnki said. My shot was on, and I found some of my teammates for good buckets, so overall I think we feel pretty good about the win.”
Dubinski said even though the team did not perform to their potential, there were still many positives to gain from game.
“I thought that when we ran our sets, we executed them pretty good,” Dubinski said. “It shows that we can win games against good competition even when we don’t play our best.”
By Harsh Singh and Derek Wang