12 DIYs: Peppermint sugar cookies

Photo by Manal Salim
Photo by Manal Salim
Photo by Manal Salim
Photo by Manal Salim

With the holidays quickly approaching, the cookie exchanges are sure to start happening soon, if they haven’t started already. Whether family and friends are visiting, or if you would like to give a delicious gift to nearly anyone, these soft, yet crispy peppermint sugar cookies are perfect for this time of year. With only about 15 minutes of hands-on time, these cookies are quick and easy to make, especially if you are in a pinch during the busy holidays.

You will need:

• Large mixing bowl

• Rubber spatula/wooden spoon

• 2 large eggs

• ⅔ cup vegetable oil

• 2 teaspoons of vanilla

• ¾ cup of white sugar

• 2 cups flour

• 2 teaspoons baking powder

• ½ teaspoon of baking salt

• ½ cup of finely crushed peppermint candies

To make the cookies:

Photo by Manal Salim
Photo by Manal Salim

1. Add the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar to the bowl. Be sure to mix all of these ingredients thoroughly to achieve a creamy consistency.

2. Add flour, baking soda and salt, and mix well. Next, add in the finely crushed peppermint candies. I crushed my candies by placing them in a plastic bag, and crushing them with a wooden rolling pin.

3. Drop the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls about 3 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Bake the cookies at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 6-10 minutes, or until they are just lightly golden. If you over bake the cookies, they will not be as nice and soft.

5. Once they are finished baking, pull out the cookies, and allow them to cool before enjoying the delicious dessert.

Photo by Manal Salim
Photo by Manal Salim

These cookies were even easier to make than I had previously assumed, as they had a fairly short preparation and cooking time, thus allowing me to enjoy them even quicker. The hint of peppermint is not overwhelming, and the sweet mint flavor to the traditional sugar cookie adds a touch of holiday spice to an otherwise typical dessert.

The cookie itself also is not too sweet, thus perfectly balancing with the peppermint without too many overpowering flavors. So, if you’re looking for a simple and fast recipe for the delicious cookies this holiday season (or any other time really), I highly recommend giving these cookies a try, either as a gift, or even just for enjoying yourself.

By Manal Salim