DIY sugar lip scrub

photo by Manal Salim
photo by Manal Salim
photo by Manal Salim
With the bitter cold temperatures starting to creep up on us, the biting cold winds are sure to take a toll on my lips this winter. Every year, it is a hassle to deal with chapped lips during this time of year, and I am always looking for the best moisturizers out there to combat this side-effect of the snowy season. However, it hadn’t occurred to me that using an exfoliating product, from time to time, would be a good way of helping heal chapped lips. Using a product that is a bit abrasive helps to remove dead skin off your lips, and allows for a smooth surface to apply lip balm and allow for faster healing. With this knowledge, I was inspired to try out this DIY sugar lip scrub recipe off of Pinterest, as it seemed to be a simple project that would be exactly what I needed, and am sure others would benefit from, this winter.
What you will need:

• Small container (such as a carmex container or an old contact lens case)
  • 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
  • ¼ tablespoon of Vaseline
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • Small bowl

photo by Manal Salim
photo by Manal Salim
To make this easy lip scrub:

1. Take out your small bowl, and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and ¼ tablespoon of Vaseline. Then, mix the two products together thoroughly.
  2. Next, add a tablespoon of granulated sugar to the mixture, and just stir into until the three items are combined.
  3. Lastly, put the scrub you just made into a small closed container (I used an old carmex container) and use from time to time to exfoliate your lips.

With only three simple steps required, and just a couple of ingredients that you can find around the house, this DIY lip scrub is definitely a must-try. I already tried out this scrub, and found that it is as simple to use as it was to make. All I did was rinse my lips with warm water, dry them off, then take a little bit of the scrub and rub it on my lips in a circular motion. After that, I just rinsed off the scrub, patted my lips dry, and followed up with a lip balm. Using this scrub resulted in much softer lips, in my opinion, and the Vaseline and coconut oil in the scrub made it moisturizing even before I applied lip balm.

photo by Manal Salim
photo by Manal Salim
This DIY scrub is something I can definitely see myself using quite frequently, but too often, as I don’t want to be too abrasive on my lips. However, using this from time to time will hopefully prevent my lips from getting chapped this winter if I use it often enough. And honestly, I am sure I will use this scrub, since it does taste pretty good too! In summary, after completing this DIY lip scrub, this is a project I would definitely recommend others to create and use due to the simplicity of the project but also because of the obvious benefit it provides.
By Manal Salim