Boys swimming beats 5 additional state qualifying times at ‘Last Chance’ meet

A swimmer representing RBHS competes in the 100 yard backstroke at the ‘Last Chance’ meet Nov. 9, 2013. Photo by Karina Kitchen
Photo by Karina Kitchen
A Bruin pulls ahead, swimming the butterfly stroke at Saturday’s meet. Photo by Karina Kitchen
[heading]Stanton, Bruins heading to state after final meet of the season[/heading] In a room resounding with whistles, shouts and cheers, swimmers from five Missouri schools raced the clock at this morning’s “Last Chance” meet in efforts to qualify for next week’s state competition.
Coached by Laura Wacker and RBHS math teacher, Peter Willett, the Bruin boys swim team was able to make five more state cuts this morning, a significant accomplishment for the team.
Energy was high at the Hickman Pool as each team competed for the chance to swim at state.
“I think today was…just about getting what we thought we could by the end of the season,” freshman Paul Cover said, “[and] with the last chance, everybody was really pumped up for it.”
Cover helped make one of the Bruins’ five cuts today. He and his teammates, senior Trenton Cott and juniors Michael Rhodenbaugh and Matt McManus, will compete in the 200-yard medley relay.
Coach Wacker was pleased with the performance of her team.
“I was hoping to get a few more state cuts,” Wacker said, “which we did achieve, I’m happy to report.”
Team Captain Harry Stanton, a RBHS senior and state qualifier, was also satisfied with the outcome of the meet.
“This team has put in a lot of really hard work this season and it paid off,” Stanton, who plans on attending Truman State University next year, said.
The meet was also described as “very successful” by freshman Bo Scribner.
But success isn’t just in beating times. Stanton said that having a “really good meet is when everyone works hard and has a good time.”
Teamwork plays a major role in this and, Wacker said, the Bruin boys have it because, “All of these guys lift each other up.”
State prelims will be held at the St. Peters Rec-Plex on Friday, Nov. 15 starting at 3 p.m., and finals will begin at 3 p.m Saturday, Nov. 16.
By Karina Kitchen