Needtobreathe graces the Blue Note stage with unique performance, engages audience

Needtobreathe vocalists Bo Rinehart (left), Bear Rinehart (middle) and Seth Bolt (right) perform on the Blue Note stage. Photo by Brittany Cornelison.
Needtobreathe makes the Blue Note balcony their stage for the final song of the night. Photo by Brittany Cornelison
People say the first time you see a band live is always the best; however, I challenge that idea. One of my favorite bands is  Needtobreathe, a Christian rock band formed in 1999. After touring with Taylor Swift, this band is now on their own tour and came to Columbia this past Friday, Nov. 1st at the Blue Note. I was able to get my hands on tickets before they sold out and was extremely excited to get to see this band again.
Having never been to the Blue Note before, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. However, having seen Needtobreathe once in the past, I knew  it didn’t matter where the concert was at, it was going to be good. I walked with my group through the doors into the crowded, musty concert atmosphere. I realized quickly that it would be a night of pushing through any claustrophobic feelings because there was absolutely no seating and everyone had formed a “mosh pit” directly in front of the stage. We made it as close to the stage as we could without being shoved around or having beer spilled on us.
Though Needtobreathe is labeled as a Christian band, I have come to find out that a lot of nonreligious people are fans of the band as well. Several of their songs do relate back to Christianity, but several do not. The fact that the band has realized this in their musical career is honorable and really bridges the gap between religions. It also provides an outlet for those who are looking for music that isn’t lyrically explicit, yet still catchy. So I guess the fact that alcohol was present at the concert wasn’t too shocking.
When the lights finally dimmed, the crowd went wild and a group called The Wild Feathers emerged onto the stage. I’d never heard of this band before, but their style was very similar to that of Needtobreathe. They had the rasp and growl along with the acoustic sound. I can see them becoming something big in the future. They played for about 30 minutes before finally clearing the stage for the setup for the headers.
Following the pre-show was a half-hour of nothing. After listening to a band whose songs you know none of for 30 minutes and then having to wait another 30 for the main act to take the stage, the crowd was a little restless. It seemed as though the Blue Note was having some technical difficulties, and because of this it wasn’t until 9:30 p.m. that Needtobreathe finally emerged onto the stage.
Having seen Needtobreathe once in the past didn’t curb my excitement, I knew this band has a unique quality that makes seeing them multiple times worth the while. Lead singer, Bear Rinehart has a rich quality to his voice that I have never heard from any other singer. He is able to hit notes in such a way that caresses your soul, literally, you can feel it. I fell in love with their music because they don’t sound like anyone else, they having a unique style that is attention-grasping.
Lead singer, Bear Rinehart pulls out his harmonica and entertains the audience. Photo by Brittany Cornelison.
Lead singer, Bear Rinehart pulls out his harmonica and entertains the audience. Photo by Brittany Cornelison
Even from the very first note that Bear sang that night, you could tell that he was confident and that practice really does make perfect. The band has been together for over a decade and that is very evident by their stage presence and the way that their music flows during concert. Throughout the whole night, though Bear is the lead singer, the other band members, Bo Rinehart (Bear’s brother) and Seth Bolt had their moments of glory as well. All are phenomenal vocalists which is another thing that makes this group so great.
The technically difficulties must have been fixed during the long intermission because Needtobreathe’s performance was flawless from beginning to end. The audience was engaged for the entire show, singing, dancing and cheering for the band. They sang some of their older songs such as “More Time” and “Washed by the Water” as well as some songs of their upcoming album, such as “Difference Maker.” Concert-goers got a sneak preview to the future of Needtobreathe and it seems as though they aren’t changing their style a bit.
For the final song of the night the band members left the stage only to emerge on the balcony, with just their guitars. They removed themselves from the stage and became more personal with the audience which I applaud. They asked the crowd to join them in singing “Something Beautiful,” a song that has become one of their most famous.
Overall the concert was probably one of my most favorite. I preferred the small setting of the Blue Note to the large outdoor concert that I had seen them in previously. The voices of Needtobreathe are amazing and never falter. This concert only built on my excitement for their upcoming album. “La Diferencia,” which is to be released sometime in 2014.
By Brittany Cornelison