Girls volleyball dominates Hannibal Pirates

volleyball-erin-2
Freshman Maurissa Roberts serves the ball into play in the game against Hermann Sept. 17. The Bruins beat the Bearcats 2-0 just as they did the Pirates yesterday.
Photo by Erin Kleeklemp

With 18 days remaining until the varsity team’s district match, the Bruins freshman, junior varsity and varsity volleyball team left for Hannibal High School Thursday, Oct. 10 to play the Pirates.

After the two-hour trip to Hannibal, the Bruins’ freshmen team started the night’s play. While the freshmen lost in three tight sets, both the varsity and the junior varsity teams won their matches.

“We played really well tonight,” varsity setter Ali Kreklow said. “Our ball control was awesome.”

The varsity squad has five games remaining until the district’s tournament. Kreklow, a senior, said the Bruins’ strong points this year have been their intelligence on the court and communication. She said they need to utilize their court time effectively.

“The main thing is that we have to practice hard,” Kreklow said. “In addition to that, we just have to mentally prepare ourselves for districts.”

Senior Annah Webber, another setter, has similar thoughts to Kreklow’s. To be successful in the matches coming up, Webber said the team cannot get carried away by today’s win.

“If we keep up the work we are putting in now,” Webber said, “we will have a really good chance at going far [in the playoffs].”

By Harsh Singh
Want to catch the volleyball team in action? The junior varsity and varsity teams play next in the Lady Chiefs’ Quad at Kickapoo tomorrow. The freshman team will take on Battle High School Oct. 17.