Sparky’s celebrates 10th anniversary with free ice cream

Senior Campbell Thompson enjoyed a cone of Sparky’s original Lucky Charms ice cream during lunch today. Photo by Campbell Thompson
Senior Campbell Thompson enjoyed a cone of Sparky's original Lucky Charms ice cream during lunch today. Photo by Campbell Thompson
Senior Campbell Thompson enjoyed a cone of Sparky’s original Lucky Charms ice cream during lunch today.
Photo by Campbell Thompson
Sparky’s Ice Cream, the beloved, lime-green ice cream parlour tucked along South 9th Street, is celebrating its 10th anniversary today. As their “thank you to Columbia,” Sparky’s is giving out free, regular-sized  scoops of ice cream to everyone that comes in until 11 p.m., or until the ice cream runs out. Furthermore, they’ve announced that they’ll be open year-round from now on, instead of only when Missouri’s tempestuous good weather is around. Sparky’s employee Andrew Wilcox said the anniversary has been going well, and that Sparky’s deserves the love it’s getting today.
“[The anniversary’s been] pretty good,” Wilcox said. “[Sparky’s] doesn’t look a day over 35. I’ts ice cream, you know? Everyone loves ice cream. Nobody comes in here and is rude; they just get their ice cream and leave with smiles; it’s awesome.”
Whether it’s the creepy yet alluringly cool paintings that adorn the walls or the trademark, life-like bulldog sculpture chained peacefully to a tree outside or the host of  inventive  flavors involving Lucky Charms or horchata or cicadas, Sparky’s has established a quirky, delicious presence in Columbia, as well as a cult-like following. Senior Campbell Thompson, who headed to Sparky’s during lunch today for a cone of Lucky Charms ice cream, believes it will be a part of her life for a long time.
“You kind of feel cool when you’re in there; I don’t know, I do,” Thompson said. “When I’m older, I’ll be like, ‘Oh, there was this ice cream place, Sparky’s, it was so cool.’ And if I ever came back, visiting my mom with my kids, I’d make sure we’d always go to Sparky’s. It’s a place where you could make family traditions.”
By Urmila Kutikkad
Have you been to Sparky’s before? What do you like about it? Have any favorite flavors? Let us know in the comments!