Bruins suffer season’s first loss to Ray-Pec

[heading]Raymore-Peculiar 21, Rock Bridge 14 [/heading]

The Bruins football team lost to the Raymore Peculiar Panthers Friday, ending their undefeated season with a 3-1 record. The Panthers advanced to 2-2.

Despite a promising offensive performance that included two passing touchdowns from junior quarterback Logan Twehous to junior Alex Ofodile and senior Zach Reuter and a rushing touchdown by senior running back Eli Stout, the Bruins were unable to score in the second half, resulting in a 31-21 loss for the Bruins.
Both teams scored back-and-forth touchdowns until late in the first half, when the Bruins led 21-14 until the Panthers’ Steve Brown fumbled at the Bruins’ 3-yard line and the Bruins recovered the fumble soon before the first half ended with a score of 21-14.
After halftime, Ray-Pec and Rock Bridge played drastically different football during the second half. The Bruins’ offense no longer produced as it had all season, ending six offensive drives on turnover on downs, turnovers and punts. The Panthers had two rushing touchdowns and a field goal to accumulate a 10 point lead late in the fourth quarter, and securing the game with an interception with 2:17 left in the game.
Penalties were one of the contributing factors to the demise of the Bruins, who recorded 10 penalties for a total of 70 yards.
While the Bruins may no longer be undefeated, the season continues on in their quest for the playoffs. The next game is at Hickman on Sep. 27 2013, which is what the Bruins are most focused on right now, according to sophomore defensive end Hayden Johnson.
“We’re going to focus on correcting our mistakes from this previous week and come out with some intensity this week during practice,” Johnson said.
By Luke Chval