Football Preview: RBHS vs. Ray-Pec

Antwon Turnage plays in the preseason Columbia Jamboree at Battle High School. Photo by Morgan Berk.

#2 RBHS (3-0) vs. Raymore-Peculiar (1-2)

7:00 p.m September 20 at Wayne Sells Field

Spread: Bruins by 13

Overview:

The Bruins, ranked second in the Class 6 poll, take on the unranked Ray-Pec Panthers at home. RBHS is undefeated this year and is rebounding from a 7-4 season last year and a heart-breaking, season-ending 10-7 overtime loss to crosstown rival Hickman in the district semifinal game. Ray-Pec is coming off back-to-back home losses and has dropped from seventh all the way out of the rankings, though they still received two votes.

Bruins’ keys to the game: 

Teammates congratulate senior Tarus Moore after he makes a touchdown.
Teammates congratulate senior Tarus Moore after he makes a touchdown at the football jamboree.
  • Junior quarterback Logan Twehous leads District 3 in passing yards with 1,063. To put that in perspective, the QB with the second-most aerial yardage is Fulton’s Joe Schlemeier with 722. Twehous has a 62 percent completion rate with only two interceptions. He has also scrambled for 200 yards and four touchdowns, averaging 10 yards per rush.
  • Senior Zach Reuter, who is two away from the school record of 17 career touchdown receptions, leads the district with 395 yards. He averages 20.8 yards per touch, and has 6 TD receptions this year alone.
  • Junior Alex Ofodile has 243 receiving yards for 4 touchdowns, an average of 11 yards per touch.
  • Senior captain and running back Eli Stout balances out the air attack with 280 rushing yards and one touchdown. He averages a substantial 8.5 yards per carry.
  • On the other side of the ball, senior Ross Alexander has two sacks and senior Brody Watson has 1.5.

Prediction:

RBHS is coming off a 55-29 victory over Arkansas #3 Har-Ber, while Ray-Pec endured a devastating 27-24 loss in double overtime to unranked Blue Springs South. Barring any unforeseen offensive meltdowns, the Bruins will start their season 4-0.

Extra points:

• The Bruins are ranked 47th nationally by USA Today.
  • 24/7 Sports calls Alex Ofodile the number one overall recruit in his class in Missouri, and the eighth best wide receiver recruit in the nation. He has multiple offers from D-1 schools, including Mizzou.
  • RBHS has not scored less than 41 points in a game this year, and has a point differential of +66. The Jaguars’ point differential is +12.