‘Yours Truly’ provides fresh spin on pop

Yours Truly album art
Image used under fair use doctrine

After the first hectic week of senior year filled with tests and quizzes galore, I was relieved to be able to relax on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I decided that such a perfect September day was the best time to listen to some music. More specifically, I finally got to listen to Ariana Grande’s new album, Yours Truly, which was released Sept. 3.

Nowadays, it seems as though every star on Disney Channel or Nickelodeon decides to launch a singing career soon after they first grace the TV screen. I’m truly baffled as to why this trend exists. In my opinion, not every actor is born to be a singer.

But Ariana Grande is different. As soon as the first notes of her voice streamed through my earbuds, I knew every song on the album would be phenomenal. The songs on “Yours Truly,” Grande’s debut album, are the perfect combination of soothing and graceful tunes, like “Tattooed Heart,” mixed with some more upbeat numbers, like “Lovin’ It” and “Popular Song”, featuring the voice talents of MIKA along with Grande.

Grande’s songs are mainly centered around the topic of love, and Grande’s sweet voice has the ability to fill every listener with emotion. Overall, the songs are perfect to listen to on a lazy weekend afternoon or any other relaxing occasion.

Although critics often compare 20-year-old Grande to Mariah Carey, another American singer who also rose to fame at a young age, and accuse her of trying to copy Carey’s style, it is evident that Grande has her own unique style of music.

And this new, fresh spin on pop has already received widespread acclaim. Two of Grande’s songs from the album were released as singles before the album came out. “The Way” was released on March 26, 2013 and received Platinum certification in the U.S. Similarly, “Baby I,” released on July 22, was also a success. The album itself debuted as No. 1 on the US Billboard 200, and Grande is only the 15th female solo artist in history to accomplish this feat.

Judging by the fact that Yours Truly was Grande’s first album, I’m pleasantly surprised at her success. I can’t wait to hear more of her music, but for now, “Baby I” is on repeat.
By Afsah Khan
Have you listened to the album? What are your opinions about it?