Boy’s Golf prevails at Old Hawthorne

Sophomore Matt Echelmeier tees off during Thursday’s match at Old Hawthorne Golf Course. Photo by Patrick Smith
Rock Bridge and Hickman shared the course. Photo by Patrick Smith
RBHS and Hickman both played at Old Hawthorne today, where RBHS emerged victorious. Photo by Patrick Smith

Leaving the course triumphant with another win under their belt, the RBHS boys golf team dominated yesterday, April 26, at the Old Hawthorne golf course. This was the last regular match the team competed in before the district tournament.

RBHS finished with a cumulative team score of 306, beating Helias High School, Jefferson City High School and cross-town rival Hickman High School, which trailed behind with a score of 333.

Individual placement was also impressive throughout the team. The boys individually scored in a range of 71 to 84. Sophomore Matt Echelmeier, who finished with the team’s best individual score of 71, said the conditions were perfect for a RBHS win.

“It was a good day to play today,” Echelmeier said. “The greens were pretty good, which makes that course much easier.”

Echelmeier said the win was a big confidence booster for the team before facing off with even bigger competition. He hopes the team can continue their streak of success into the district championship.

“It’s awesome to know that you’re the winner at the end,” Echelmeier said. “The fact that our team won helps us keep good spirits for districts Monday.”
By Anna Wright