Lady Bruins smash through first round of districts

The RBHS girls basketball team played the Jefferson City Jays in the district game at Hickman high school Feb. 28, where they won with a decisive victory of 63-11. Both RBHS and Hickman students came out to support the Lady Bruins, who played the Jays last year and the year before in the district championships. While the Bruins ended the game with a victorious 75-67 last year, they lost the district championship in 2010-2011 to Jefferson city in a heartbreaking game where the Jays beat them out with a 34-33 win. They were not going to let that happen this year.
The game started with the Bruins taking an early lead through playing good defense and spreading the floor with good ball movement on the offensive side of the court. RBHS ended the first quarter comfortably with a 27-0 score, 21 of the points from three-pointers. Coming back into the second quarter, the Bruins again left Jefferson City no chance to make a dent. with 4 minutes 22 seconds left in the first half, Bruins still had a 31-0 lead.
“We were passing the ball really well and hitting important shots in the first quarter,” junior Elizabeth Best said. “We were spreading the floor really well and giving a lot of our players opportunities to make plays.”
The Bruins continued their domination in the second quarter. They went on multiple scoring streaks and ended the first half with a score of 37-4. The second half was no different. Bruins again showed their dominance, and only let Jefferson City slip past them with a minimal score of six points. At the end of the third quarter, RBHS still held the lead, now 54-6. With the game pulling away into the fourth quarter, the Jays made more progress, making more shots, but the Bruins were too far ahead. The game ended with RBHS taking the win 63-11. RBHS will play Hickman High school 5 p.m. March 2 at Hickman High School for the district championship title and a chance to move on to sectionals.
“We are preparing for it like any other game,” Best said, “but we are being more focused.”
By Tyler Dunlap
Photos by Patrick Smith

[nggallery id=264]