Minor Threat worthy of attention

Art by Richard Sapp
Art by Richard Sapp
Art by Richard Sapp
Art by Richard Sapp
This week’s band pick: Minor Threat
Favorite Song: “Minor Threat”
Being one of the most prominent hardcore punk bands of all time, Minor Threat, formed in 1980, and the D.C. based group were the pioneers of the “Straight Edge” lifestyle that so many now mimic today.
They were the first ever “Straight Edge” punk band to ever exist, and unlike other bands of the era, they steered clear of drugs and alcohol and focused on the integrity of their music. Their lyrics, which were set to harsh and distorted guitar chords, pointed out the flaws and obvious vices of society.
Minor Threat is one of my favorite music groups from the ‘80s, seeing as their lyrics ring all too entirely true, and they called out the youth of the nation for doing drugs simply as a fad. Years later, their lifestyle of straight edge has grown larger and larger until blossoming into a nation-wide movement, encouraging sobriety for the greater good of one’s self.
Their lead singer Ian MacKaye’s slightly noticeable speech impediment only enhances the band’s sound and image as a whole, giving it a “rough around the edges” feel that helps make hardcore punk so enticing to the many that buy into it.
There are few things more appealing than loud guitars and someone yelling angry lyrics in a crowded room.
By George Sarafianos