Golf brings in huge victory at Blue Springs

Senior Megan Goree takes a swing, winning first in Best Ball and second individually in the team's match in the Blue Springs South Tournament. Photo by Patrick Smith.
This morning at 5:40 a.m., the girls golf team headed to Lakewood Oaks golf course in Lee’s Summit for the Blue Springs South Tournament, where competition began at 9:00 a.m.
After five hours of playing hard, the team took home the coveted first place title along with a slew of individual awards.
“We all played fairly well,” senior Megan Goree said, “considering we were a little nervous because we didn’t play our best last year.”
This year, in addition to the team winning first out of 11 teams, Goree finished second overall individually with senior Kaitlyn Marsh finishing first. Both Marsh and junior Jessie Murphey took first in best ball – where the best score for each hole is recorded – and sophomore Sam Farmer and junior Amanda Baker took first in scramble.
Goree said she was happy with her entire round until the third to last hole, where she didn’t hit the ball like she wanted.
“I really just knew I had been playing really well and needed to finish strong,” Goree said,  “so I focused as hard as I could and ended up paring my last 2 holes.”
The team’s next match is tomorrow at Old Hawthorne against Hickman and Jefferson City.
By Maddie Magruder