Country’s independence recognized

Image used under the Fair Use Doctrine from www.russia-georgia.blogspot.com
As school winds down and seniors prepare to leave for college, independence is at the forefront of their minds. Finally, they will be on their own for the first time in their lives. They can’t wait to go out and be their own person, free from parental rules. This feeling is quite like the one Georgia experienced when they broke off from the Soviet Union.
On this day in history, the Treaty of Moscow was ratified, granting Georgia de jure independence from the Soviet Union.
Georgia originally declared their independence from Russia in 1918 as a result of the 1917 revolutions and the devastation  Russia experienced during WWI. They wanted to build a state to protect Georgia from political and militaristic challenges from the Bolsheviks in Russia, therefore they separated from Russia.
During the three years of independence, Georgia built up a moderate socialist state that included universal suffrage, freedom of speech and a democratically elected legislature. Despite these advances, the newly formed Georgian state still suffered from military conflicts with Turkey, Armenia, and the “Reds” (Soviets) from Russia.
This threat of invasion led to the signing of the Moscow Treaty, in which Russia recognized Georgia as an independent state and in exchange the Georgians would grant the Communist party in Georgia the freedom to organize. However, this peace lasted less than a year and in February, 1921, Russia launched a final offensive attack against Georgia to put down the Democratic Republic of Georgia and bring the territory back into the fold of the Soviet Union.
On May 7, the AP Psychology exam took place, Tom Andes performed at Murry’s and Open mic night was held at The Blue Fugue. But 6225 miles away and 92 years ago, a country was recognized as free for the first time in 117 years.
By: Jessica Jost