15 Days of Torment: Day 8 Letters to Juliet

Image used under fair use doctrine.
My eight film, “Letters to Juliet,” was amazing. Maybe it’s because I watched it with my friends, but at every encounter between Sophie (Amanda Seyfried, “Red Riding Hood”) and Charlie (Christopher Egan, “Eragon”), we all squirmed in our seats and giggled. Everything was just too incredibly cute.
The somewhat cliche story line began with Sophie, a girl who dreaming of becoming a writer but is only a fact checker. She heads off to Verona, Italy with her fiancée Victor for a pre-honeymoon trip. When they finally get to Italy, Victor quickly becomes busy with work-related endeavors, while Sophie progressively gets more and more annoyed, finally she heads off to go sightseeing by herself.
She finds a wall where hundreds of notes are stuck and women are bawling. She finds out that these are letters to the Juliet from Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”. After finding a letter from a British woman left in the wall decades ago, talking about her lost love, Sophie insists on writing her back. After writing back, a young man (Charlie) comes and yells at Sophie for writing back to his grandmother. But after meeting Claire (his grandmother), she and Sophie become quick friends and vow to find Lorenzo, Claire’s lost love.
They spend days searching and as they do, Sophie develops a love-hate relationship with Charlie, though it’s clear both are falling for each other. In the end, Sophie begins doubting her fiancée Victor and his obsession with his work, especially since she is falling for Charlie.
OK, so it probably was because I was with my friends. I don’t usually get so worked up about romantic gestures or romantic, awkward moments, but this time it got to me. It’s not surprising, but it’s the best is when the two people who hated each other end up falling in love. My heart heaved each time Sophie and Charlie made eye contact through the rearview mirror.
I don’t know if it’s too overrated, but I have to say, I did love this movie, it was wayyy too adorable.
By Jude El Buri