Winning streak continues for JV golf

Sophomore Connor McCarty watches his follow-through. Photo by Shaun Gladney
Showing steady consistency, the boys JV and C golf teams beat the Helias Crusaders at LA Nickell’s Golf Course Tuesday, April 10.
Senior Scott Coffelt said although junior varsity is not as intense as varsity, he valued this match’s possibilities and was satisfied with his team’s results.
“Bruins JV stays undefeated, like always. It was a match where our team played pretty average, or below average,” Coffelt said, “but since we’re a lot better than [Helias], it didn’t really matter. It wasn’t really a round that had a lot of highlights; we were just out there grinding.“
The team snagged this afternoon’s victory with a combination of seasoned strokes and pure talent. While Coffelt says his most prominent moment of the day’s match was the 25 birdy putt made to salvage a falling round, Tyler Bales also brought an air of excellence to the course.
“The most excellent moment for Tyler, who shot the best today, was when he drove it on par five,” Coffelt said. “He ended up just a short distance from the green after his first, really good shot.”
Going into the match, Coffelt was aware of the special importance it held in terms of future play.
“My feelings at the beginning of the match were just to play well,” he said. “We had a match today and a match tomorrow for JV and C team, and the two players out of those 11 guys who have the best combined score will get the chance to quality for varsity this weekend.”
Although JV is a successful part of RB golf, Coffelt used the possibility of further advancing in team placement as a drive for a more precise performance. The team felt this pressure as a whole, adding to the reasons why this match was easily victorious.
“Going into this match, I was just wanting to shoot a decent number to where I could still put myself into it,” he said. “In two day competitions, on the fist day you can’t win it, but you can definitely loose it. So we all just wanted to go out there, especially today, and try to have some fun with the other guys and play well ourselves.”
The team pulled its ability and managed to prove that greatness can be found in the most ordinary of situations, especially with a bit of expertise and fortitude.
By Abbie Powers