Girls basketball prepares for final four

Math teacher Lisa Holt sells basketball t-shirts during lunch to support the girls. Photo by Halley Hollis
Since the girls basketball team (23-3) began its season the week of Thanksgiving break all the way back in November, the girls said they have played every game with the intention of playing their last one at Mizzou Arena.
Saturday the Bruins got one step closer to their goal by earning one of the four coveted spots for the Final Four when they defeated Waynesville (12-17) 64-18; they will be battling the Incarnate Red Knights (24-6) for the chance at the state championship at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow in the Mizzou Arena.
The semi-final game will not be the first time Bruin girls have jousted with the Red Knights. RBHS girls overpowered the Incarnate players 46-39 Jan. 21 in the Rock Bridge Tournament.
Although the Bruins won the game, the girls are still nervous to face the Red Knights – who were the 2010 and 2011 state champions – and worthy opponents who bring high standards to the hardwood, junior Makenzie Skrabal said.
At the Jan. 21 game, Incarnate “had as much stamina, but we were more fired up and wanted it more,” Skrabal said. “So that’s what we have to do this game.”
To prepare for the game, Skrabal said, head coach Jill Nagel will go through films of Incarnate playing with the Bruins. Even though the Red Knights will come tomorrow to play not only for the state championship title but also for revenge, the RB team will also be playing for something just as motivating.
“We’re really supportive of each other and always listen to music and jam out before the game,” Skrabal said. “We want each other to win more than we want ourselves to win.”
By Daphne Yu