Bruins continue in postseason action Wednesday

Coming off of a district championship, defeating Hickman 70-49, this past Friday, the boys basketball team prepares for its sectional game at 7:45 p.m. tomorrow against Rolla (19-9) on the Bulldogs’ stomping grounds.
The Bruins hope to control the momentum of the game as they did during their had a successful district tournament run, where the boys allowed minimal baskets against Smith Cotton and Hickman.
“I thought at districts we played well, especially defensively and were just emphasizing that and trying to get better in that area because that’s what’s made us have some success,” Coach Jim Scanlon said. The team needs to “do what we’ve been doing and do it well.”
The team had little time for celebration; it has plunged into practices with panache, picking apart flaws and strengthening the players’ mental and physical readiness. The most important aspects of practice is the fundamentals, such as rebounding and defensive skills, Scanlon said, as well as one last after-school practice this afternoon before the departure for Rolla tomorrow.
The game takes place at the University of Science and Technology where the Bruins will face opponents they have never played. The school has arranged for a spirit bus to take students to  this game as well as the girls‘ sectional match. The bus leaves at 3 p.m. tomorrow to bring along the dedicated fans in their green and gold.
“I thought we’ve practiced well and we get another good one in today and we will be ready to play tomorrow hopefully,” Scanlon said. “We gave up 33 points a game last week, I think, and if we do that Wednesday night, we will be in good shape.”
By Kaitlyn Marsh