Both boys basketball teams beat Jefferson City Jays

Junior Alex Henderson makes a lay up in the junior varsity game at Hickman. Photo by Shaun Gladney
With a stage set by the junior varsity Bruins’  big 54-32 win against Jefferson City (7-12) Jan. 31, the boys basketball varsity team (12-2) had its mind set to double the victory.
“Our JV team did really well,” freshman Ryan Krekow, a junior varsity team member, said. “We worked very hard and played extremely well together. We were expecting nothing less from the variety team.”
The green and gold seemed unmatched when it came determination in Jefferson City as they dribbled, passed and scored their way to the top. With a 13-point lead at half, the Bruins top despite a slow beginning. Their normal starting five wasn’t complete, which had the team facing trouble making shots, senior Austin Ray said.
“We got off to a slow start, just couldn’t get into a rhythm,” he said. “But when players came in off the bench, they gave us a spark and stepped in to help make some big plays and to gain or extent our lead.”
Second half was a smooth ride. With the starting line-up back in – including previously injured junior Travis Jorgenson – the Bruins were making their shots and their fast break was unstoppable.
“It was great having [Travis] back and being able to run the break and get easy baskets,” sophomore Nick Norton said. “Hopefully he stays healthy and we can get the trophy at the end of the year. We like a running style of play and Travis gets the team going up and down and it is a really fun way to play.”
By Caraline Trecha