Day 107

Day+107

A life where every day looks almost the same can get boring fast.  Today is July 2.

Going to sleep early actually worked for once because by 9:30 a.m. I was awake and ready to start my day. I knew the weather would be hot, but the humidity was an unpleasant addition. During a typical summer my family and I wouldn’t be in Missouri at this time. Instead, we’d be camping or traveling or, depending on the year, up in Canada enjoying cooler days with fewer mosquitos. Since we’re at home, though, my days start off with more frizzy hair and sticky air.

In my brief time outside today, I noticed the trees and sky looked especially lovely. Photo by Bailey Stover.

I didn’t have any big plans for my day, though as of late it seems as if the most exciting adventure I go on is the rare trip outside my neighborhood. I talked with my mom for a while and helped her track down a few of her former students’ addresses so she could deliver and mail old awards. I think it’s great she’s doing this, even though she’s now technically retired. She could have contacts world-wide if she wanted because of how many students she’s had and how many years she’s taught, but because of her normally hectic life she’s not been able to keep in contact with all of them as well as I’m sure she’d have liked.

Yesterday I’d started watching the 2015 drama Quantico about a group of FBI agents and really enjoyed it. The show reminded me a little of Criminal Minds with a touch of Prison Break and White Collar. Let’s just say I have seen a lot of shows related to crime, criminals and law enforcement in one way or another. I also have a soft spot for intense medical dramas, but that’s an unrelated interest without much of a tie to my new binge-worthy show.

While I was reading, I added Post-it Notes to important pages with main ideas and key moments. Photo by Bailey Stover.

My binging continued today, and I got through the first 10 episodes of the first season. I like the multiple plot lines the show creates, but I think telling the stories from inside the training facility and the story of the bombing in separate seasons would have been just as compelling while allowing for more character development. I understand the audience isn’t supposed to know everything about each character, but part of the reason I watch a show and stick with it is because I become invested in the people, not just the plot line. I’m curious to see where the story goes as the season progresses.

In the afternoon I took a break from Netflix to finish reading What The Eyes Don’t See: A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City by Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha. I would usually knock out a book of that length (only about 330 pages) in a day, but because of my schedule I had to split up my reading. I thoroughly enjoyed her novel from beginning to end, and I strongly encourage anyone interested in learning more about public health, political cover ups, medicine and advocacy as well as the Flint, Michigan water crisis in general to read Dr. Hanna-Attisha’s story. I’m excited to begin discussing the book in greater detail once school starts in the fall. One day I would love to tell a story as compelling and powerful as hers, and I am glad she had the voice, platform and expertise to share her tale with the public in this way.

When I finished reading, I emailed two of my former teachers to recommend the novel. I’m not sure if either of them will check their emails during the summer, but either way I’m glad I could (potentially) guide them to a good read. In the evening I spent some time by myself, and because I wasn’t in the mood to do anything productive I instead opted to go to sleep early again. Because the days get hot so quickly, I need to be up early if I want to spend time outside or else face unpleasant humidity. 

“Pour love into the world without asking if anyone deserves it.” ― Christian Bosse

How did you spend your 107th day of social distancing? Let us know in the comments below.