FFA to host Ag Day tomorrow, Oct. 19

Last year during Ag Day, alpacas were put in a ring as students observed and fed them. Photo by Kai ford

Tomorrow, the local, Columbia Future Farmers of America (FFA) chapter is hosting an Ag day where students and other members showcase farm animals from ponies to cows to even tarantulas.
The event will take place on the East side of RBHS between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., directly adjacent to the bus loop across the Main Entrance. The purpose of the function is to learn about the FFA, farm animals, and an added, additional perk is to “take cute pictures for Snapchat and Insta[gram],” according to the RBHS Ag Day poster.
Junior Chloe James is a part of FFA and passionate about agriculture and animals. She is helping out at Ag Day by bringing animals and supplies, even a miniature horse.  
“I’m super passionate about agriculture and I love FFA so I really want to get our club out there and let people know where their food comes from,” James said.
Junior Jerry Hou and Olivia Guess remember last year Ag day, and are excited to check out the booths again this year. Hou was particularly interested in milking cows as he’d never seen it happen before.
“I feel like it was really cool learning about the farm life, and like seeing how cows are milked,” Hoe said. “I thought the spiders and the cockroaches were pretty cool. I didn’t dare to touch them;  they looked scary.”
Guess recalls the unappealing smell of animals but said that because they were cute, the petting and hugging was worth it.
“[It smelled] like manure,” Guess said. “There was a baby goat, and he was really cute. There was donkey who was really loud, and a pony,”  
James hopes a lot of people show up this year. For those not exposed to farm life, she thinks it will serve as more than just a picture opportunity but a valuable learning experience.
“I know that people like to just come out to take pictures with the animals or milk a cow or hold a pig,” James said, “but I think that even the small exposure to it gives them a better understanding of where food comes from and what farmers and ranchers do on a daily basis so at the bare minimum I think it gives them a better understanding.”